MOVING INTO NUMBER 10
26th July 2007
It’s not Gordon Brown moving into Number 10 Downing Street – it’s The UK Holiday Group buying its 10th hotel.
The Richmond Hotel in Torquay has been acquired by the Norwich-based group, to add to its growing portfolio of properties in popular UK seaside resorts and scenic settings.
“We already have nine good quality touring hotels around Britain, from the Isle of Wight to the Scottish Highlands. Now our 10th property will allow our guests to enjoy the many attractions of the English Riviera,” said Harold Burke, sales director of The UK Holiday Group.
The 48-room hotel was on the market for £1.1m and about £250,000 will be spent on the first refurbishment phase early in the New Year.
The property will feature in Grand UK Holidays’ summer 2008 brochure, due out in September.
And there are 10 very good reasons why you should book a stay at the Richmond:
1. It is ideally located, in a tranquil part of Torquay – known as the Queen of the English Riviera – yet the property is close to the town centre and seafront.
2. You’ll have plenty to do in the hotel – from swimming in the indoor pool to playing tennis or pool. You could even indulge in the passion of the West Country – skittles – as the hotel has two fine skittle alleys.
3. Explore Torquay’s “Agatha Christie Mile” to discover the birthplace and home of the world’s most celebrated crime writer.
4. Browse the resort’s extensive range of shops and snap up a gift in one of the boutiques in the famous Fleet Walk district.
5. Indulge your appetite in the myriad of continental cafes and fine restaurants offering international cuisine and the best of British food.
6. Gardeners will be spoilt for choice as there are more than 2,000 acres of public gardens to enjoy – from the seafront near the Edwardian Pavilion to country parks, from cliff tops to secluded woodlands.
7. Enjoy weather that’s warmer than the rest of the UK – thanks to the Gulf Stream (and look out for the Torbay Palm, which grows in this area courtesy of this unique sub-tropical microclimate).
8. Be entertained at the Princess Theatre, which offers a packed programme of entertainment including many top West End shows.
9. Suitably for reason number 9 – there are nine beaches, from the sandy beach at Torre Abbey to the sheltered coves of Meadfoot and the rock pools at Corbyn Head.
10. Treat yourself to a visit to the village of Cockington - only a mile from the Richmond – where you can see its historic manor house and the 460 acres of beautiful parkland and woodland.